Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Big Race

Okay, it's time to talk about "race," that non existent, divisive bit of crap we perpetuate at every opportunity.
You aren't black and I'm not white.  I'm sort of ecru.   Actually, since living in the deep south, I'm a bit light tan.  Other friends I know are darker brown, a few are lighter brown, but we are all shades of brown.
I've been told by someone I love and respect (whom I won't name, but her initials are Devin Ruth) that I should allow others to "identify" with whatever label they choose.  After giving it some thought, albeit mostly while feverish and possibly under the influence of medicinal hot toddies, I think that is wrong.  You can identify as a blue legged lizard from Alpha Centauri if you wish - doesn't make it true and doesn't help much of anything.
The fact is, we've had a bit of time on this planet all together and we've interbred.  If there ever were such a thing as "race" surely it doesn't exist now.
I refuse to identify as a specific "race."  And I particularly dislike people referring to me as white.  I am pale.  I admit it.  If I've been in the sun too much, I'm pink to red, but I'm not white.  My eyes are brown and my hair is. . . . . . well,  what remains of it is what ever color I choose.
When we identify as race, we are labeling ourselves as "other."   Je suis une Americane.  (forgive if I've misspelled, it's been a while.)
My point is, we've got some problems, Baybees. We've really upset Mother Nature.  She's not happy. America has the most embarrassing presidential election I can imagine.  Even in this country, we can't rely on our water being safe to drink, and greed rules over all.  Our school turn out people who can't read.  How far down on the list of important factors is skin color?
White and Black have connotations.  Lightness and darkness, good and bad, diametrical opposites.  That's fine, but it has nothing to do with people in relationship to their skin color.
Get the flip over it.
I'm not saying I'm without prejudice.  I admit that I have my share.  But for crying in a bucket, if my prejudices ever have anything to do with the shade of brown of someone's skin, just put me out of my misery.
Now, if a person is chewing gum in public or speaking overly loudly, or showing the masses the crack of his ass because he just fails to pull up his pants. .. . . . . .let me have a word or two.
But unless you just got off the boat, please don't refer to yourself as African American or Irish or Aryan, if you are an American citizen.  That'll do it for me.  You're an American, I'm an American, and more than that - we are both (I presume) human.  That's enough, eh?


No comments: