Sunday, November 20, 2016

Perfectly Letting Go

I had such a very hard time getting with it today.  I really don't know why, except that, it's just what I do all too often.  This afternoon I got out to the GMGT and decided I'd lay some pavers.  I figured it wouldn't be that bad, since I already had pavers there with large spaces between them.  All I had to do was rearrange and add some more pavers. I really should know better than to think any piece of the GMGT is going to be easy.

I'm sure you'll find it difficult to imagine, but the ground wasn't level.  Not even close.  And I soon remembered that the reason I left "planting" spaces between pavers in this section was because there were serious roots and rocks that would have to be removed before I could make the area anywhere near level.

I say "anywhere near level" now.  When I started out building the first patio section. I trusted my level completely.  I was a bit compulsive about it.  Somehow by the second, and now third area of patio, I don't so much care how level things are.  Level enough is plenty good enough.

My B.I.L. and my brother Paul, do things perfectly.  But they know me, and they know I don't  do things perfectly, and I'm pretty sure they love me anyway.  You see it isn't that THEY are perfect (well, they are pretty close, it's true) but they do projects like this perfectly. 

While trying to make my first patio section perfectly level, I often though of the time when one of my perfectionist nephews would see the patio, and I'd try to see it through his eyes.  I was genuinely anxious about what he would think about my work. Yep, I'm laughing now for a few reasons.

1. Since it's taken several years for me to build the Garden of Many Groovy Things on my very steeply sloping back yard, things have settled.  What was once level is no more.
2. The original plan for the garden bears absolutely no resemblance to the garden as it is now.  I decide often to change or add or move things and I do.  That's perfectly fine with me.  I don't expect it to ever be "done."  It's the building of it that is the joy.
3. It doesn't  matter anymore whether or not I get the approval of anyone.  I love my family.  Always will.  What they do with that knowledge is none of my damned business.

So I continue to build a little bit at a time, as energy permits.  I've raised the back retaining wall, which had sunk a bit and added more dirt and planted more plants.  Now I've begun covering the back wall, which is made of concrete block, with rocks that I continue to collect.  I've learned so much while doing this.  Things about building with concrete blocks, and stones, and cement, and pavers; and things about dirt, and clay, and roots, and rocks, and plants.  And lots and lots of things about me.  

I don't need perfection.  In fact, I really like funky.  There are little surprises and secrets all about the GMGT.  There are gaps in the walls just right for a bird nest or two.  There are initials of people and faces and symbols of all sorts hidden about.  People will either see them or they won't.  It doesn't matter.  I had fun putting them there. 

In five days, about a dozen of my fam will gather in the garden for a wiener roast.  We'll have candles and lanterns and torches and a fire in the fire pit, of course, but I reckon the warmth will come from this collection of imperfect people being together in my perfectly imperfect Garden of Many Groovy Things. We'll eat very common, simple food (yay S'mores!), and we'll laugh.  

Life is so short.  My advice is to always choose groovy over perfect.  Perfect takes up way too much time and is so much less fun than groovy.  Put some funk in your junk.  


I’m grateful for it all.

No comments: