Monday, May 8, 2017

Laundry and Other Luxuries

I'm doing my first laundry after returning from India. While there I did laundry in a bucket and really didn't think much of it, except that I wasn't doing a great job.  

How spoiled I am to have a machine that will wash my clothes, another that will dry them if it's raining or I am to lazy to hang them outside to dry. I have cold, filtered water and ice at the touch of the glass to the fridge. With the touch of other buttons my home gets hotter or cooler. And last night when I woke at 2:30 this morning trying to figure out where and when I was, I notice how incredibly quiet it was. Amazing! Such riches!

We drove home from the airport on such smooth, uncrowded highways, surrounded by clean, green trees and grass. We didn't stop for a single cow. 


I loved visiting India and I will never be the same person I was before I experienced it. One change is that I appreciate how very spoiled I am living in America. Yeah, we've got some major problems here, but dang, it's a pretty place. An easy place.  


As the world continues to shrink, we'll all have to continue to adjust. We need to learn to appreciate not only what we have, but what others have as well. We're not "The Greatest Country on Earth," though we have so very much to be grateful for. There is no greatest. 


I realize now how grateful I am for top sheets on beds and wash clothes, warm water any time, electricity that is constant, traffic rules and lights, police who don't expect bribes, and Western toilets.  I do miss the bidet sprays, ayurvedic soaps, little packets of ???? breath freshener, and freshly squeezed sugar cane juice.  I sort of  miss the cows and goats, but I don't suppose most people would.  

The human population is really just one big family reunion. It's so very good to get to know our cousins.

No comments: