Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Simplicity of the Marvelous Interweb - a Moving Fiasco



Because my move-in date would be near Labor Day,  I started working on getting internet and tv services weeks early, thinking to avoid a delay in installation.  After all, how complicated could it be?

I discovered that ATT and Charter both supplied services to my building in Fond Du Lac.  I contacted Charter first.  I was online and saw that I could bundle TV, Internet and a land line phone for $29.99 each.  Although I didn't need a land line phone, I thought this might be a good deal, so I contacted them online and got into a chat box.

I told the lady what I wanted, but she obviously had a script she was not allowed to leave.  So after several frustrating minutes, she got to the end and. . . . . POOF!  She was gone.  Well, these things happen.

I started over and got a different person on chat.  I told him that I'd just been dropped, but, you know. . . . that script.  So even though I answered his questions before he asked them, he continued to ask them.  It was a little funny.  Finally, we approached the end and. . . . . POOF!  He was gone.  It was less funny.

Third time's the charm, right?  Different person, of course.  Went through the script again and made it all the way to the end and the lady told me it would be $124 something per month and it would be September 19 before I could have installation. Huh?  How do you do math?  Isn't there anyway I can just get internet and the most basic TV for less than that?  She began reading from her script, no doubt from the bullet point that said, "Customer complains about price."  The short answer was no.

Although I was very happy to be talking to live people, these people were barely live.  They obviously weren't allowed to vary from the script at all.  How does that help?  A computer would have been just as good.  I was frustrated.

So I went online to ATT.  I explained my situation.  They were very understanding.  They said I could get internet and TV for $80 and the bottom line was actually $80. I could have installation Sept. 5.   I was happy.  I called Charter back and said, no thank you.  I wish to cancel.

The very attentive lady asked why.  I told her.  She said that she'd have to have tell her supervisor, who would call me.  Indeed the supervisor called me and asked what they could do to make me stay with Charter rather than ATT.  I was annoyed.  I told her not a ding dang thing.

Happy with my choice, I continued with my move.

I was actually even happier when ATT contacted me and said the installer would be here September 1.  Wow, early!  Great!  The very nice man arrived and looked around and said, "You know, we'll have to install a satellite dish, right?"  No.  I did not know that.  In fact, that was something I discussed in the chat box weeks earlier.  He explained that Charter and Spectrum used to be two different companies and that there was often miscommunication, blah, blah, blah, and promised to cancel my order for me.  He left.

By now my head was a bit scrambled.  The Marvelous Interweb and TV Fiasco, wasn't the only fiasco this move had presented. I called Charter and explained that I'd just moved here and was comparing ATT and Charter.  I didn't mention my earlier experience with them.  NO WORRIES.  They could be here September 6 and install everything and it would be $99.  Really?  Okay.

September 4, I got a text asking if I wanted to keep my appointment for installation for September 5 at 9 a.m.   I replied yes.  I forgot to read the details.

So this morning, September 5, a very nice young man named Jon came to install my internet, but not my TV.  Huh?  Well, okay.

Then it hit me.  Oh, brother!  This was ATT not Charter.  The first guy hadn't actually cancelled my order.  I should have known better.  Jon had already done a bunch of work.  I explained to him and as I did so, my frustration grew.  I so seldom lose my cool, that I'm not well practiced at it.  But Jon, who had done absolutely NOTHING wrong, heard it all.  He listened to me and actually understood.  He presented an alternative.

He said I could get only ATT internet and use Netflix and Amazon Prime on my TV and if I wished, there was an app I could get to stream tv, blah, blah.   Huh?  Why wouldn't I do that?   I love Jon.

Now that I had internet, I checked my emails for notices from Charter.  There were none.  I will have to call them to cancel my installation appointment, which I THINK is for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a problem with one of my credit cards. I called to straighten it out. I was using chat and talked to the guy a while. The thing was I'd say something and he'd agree and then say, And what is the problem. I finally gave up and called them. This girl was no more help, I think it was a joke to her. By the end of it all, I was worried about the security of my card.