Sunday, February 28, 2016

An Unusual Eulogy for an Unusual Woman.

February 28, 2016

I gave this eulogy at my mother's funeral at her church in Etowah, NC, where she lived the last 15 years of her life. 

     I assume that most of you knew my mother rather well, and will remember that she had an exceptional sense of humor.  She loved to laugh, right up to the end of her life.
     Once, not long ago, when I was staying at her house, she asked me to set up her stereo so that she could play the music she loved so well.  We sang along and danced to her music that night.
     However, the next morning, I guess she thought I was sleeping too late, because she woke me by playing some of Tommy Dorsey's greatest hits playing loudly enough to drown out a jet engine.   She thought that was funny.
     She always loved music, and had great hopes for musical talent in her children.  Unfortunately, Julliard didn't give scholarships for bongo or triangle.  So I think she decided to put a little extra musical boost on me (I was the youngest.)
     All my siblings are named after relatives.  My brother, Paul, is named after our father.  My brother, Wade, is named after an uncle and my sister, Nancy, is named after a grandmother.  I was named after Phyllis McGuire, of the McGuire sisters.  The last time I talked with her, she was still laughing about that.   Real funny, Mom!
     But fair is fair, don't you think?  Mom used her maiden name, Shubert, as her middle name all her married life. However, her real name was LaVon DOZENA!   (Got 'cha!)
     But Mom really did love music.  She always sang to her four children, eight grandchildren, and eleven great grandchildren.  
     Growing up, we often sang and danced to polkas, big band, and funny songs.  She was especially fond of silly songs. 

   Three little fishes and a momma fishy, too
   Hot diggety, dog diggety, Boom what you do to me
   I love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck

    
     I particularly remember one song that Mom often sang to us in her native tongue. Please feel free to sing along if you know it. 


Marzy dotes and dozy dotes and little lamzee divy, a kiddleeivy too, wooden shoe. 

     Please don’t think I’m being disrespectful of my mother.  I have endless respect for her, and I know that there was little she enjoyed more than humor. 

      I’d like to end this babbling with a song by Phyllis McGuire - I guess she's my Godmother - and her sisters.  
(Phyllis has the solo, of course)

No comments: