Saturday, January 14, 2017

Passing On Enlightenment

It's very popular these days to say we need to stop thinking and just "be."  I'm often told that I need to let go of thought to be enlightened or something like that.  It may be very vulgar of me,  but I love thinking.  It is precious to be able to think - to tumble ideas around in ones mind just for the joy of it. The inestimable value of thinking is especially obvious to me since I'm told I may be losing my ability to do it. I've noticed that the people who write about not thinking, have put a lot of thought into what they write.  Or maybe they haven't.  Maybe I'm overthinking these essays and memes and paperbacks.

I could, have, and will spend hours and hours thinking about how wonderful water is.  It expands when frozen AND when heated.  And if it didn't do these remarkable things, we would not have Earth as we know it.  Water absorbs and releases heat making Earth livable.  It's necessary to all life as we know it.  It's just uber cool, is what it is.

And if thinking about water doesn't blow your mind (yeah, that may be a poor choice of wording in my situation, ha) think about time.  What the heck is it?  Do you know?  Do you think you know?  It's more slippery than a warm tadpole.

What is sleep?  Are we unconscious?  Why do we sleep?  Why does sleep elude us sometimes?  And what about dreams?  I love my dreams.  They are very detailed and wondrous and I almost always direct them as they happen.  But what are they?  I think the Australian Aboriginals have it going on when they talk about Dreamtime being as real as any other time.  (There we go with that time thing again.)

And don't you just love dancing around with the reality that everything is made of tiny little bits vibrating and bouncing into one another at various speeds and frequencies?  It's lovely.  Tiny bits of me are exchanging with bits of this keyboard right now.  Who is what?

So if I need to give up thinking in order to be enlightened, I guess I'll skip the enlightenment.

2 comments:

Darla Devine said...

Enlightenment is conscious contact with your being, not your thinking. As wonderful as curiosity and creative thinking can be, your Source is ever more fulfilling. Where thinking ends, you are home.

Unknown said...

Thank you for reading.