Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Couch Miracles

A miracle happened yesterday and today.  Well, okay, I'm sure that a gazillion or so have happened, but this is one I'm going to tell you about.

I've been selling stuff online.  I want to whittle down the amount of things I own.  I've had my love seat and couch on several sites for quite a long while and finally heard from someone that she loved them.  I told her that they wanted to go home with her.

Through some private messages, usually reserved for negotiating great deals, this young woman explained that she had no way to pick them up because she has no truck, and that she can't lift because she's currently going through chemotherapy for breast cancer.  I don't have a truck either.  I don't even know anyone with a truck, I don't think.  But I said, if you want it, I'll get it to you.  As I typed it, I wondered what in the heck I was thinking.

Then, as sometimes happens, we began chatting and I found out that this breast cancer is just sort of one more thing in a long line of not so nice things in her life, even though she is an exceptionally positive person.  Her "man" left her when she lost a breast.  Her son, who would soon be 18, died in a car accident with her husband when her son was nearly 4.  I won't go on, because you'd think that this woman was a Debbie Downer.

She's anything but.

She did tell me, however, that she finds getting comfortable enough to sleep during chemo is a real challenge and her bed is no help.  I said, "Wellllll, as a matter of fact, I happen to have an extra bed - memory foam, even."  She said she thought Cancer Society could help her buy it from me, since she isn't exactly rolling in dough right now.  I told her that I could wait because I'm independently wealthy.   But then I decided that lying is no way to start a friendship, so I fessed up.

We chatted for a long while and made each other laugh.  Amazing how much we have in common.  She told me her next chemo was today and so I asked if I could come and sit with her.  She agreed and I took her all the caps I'd collected when I had no hair a year or so ago.

Luckily, there weren't a lot of people in the big room getting chemo at the same time, so few if any were disturbed by our rather raucous laughter between her grimaces and twinges of pain.

I contacted a college age friend, knowing that he's strong and I figured between the two of us we could move the furniture if I rented a truck.  He said he thought he and his dad could help.  Then I asked if they had a truck.  He said no, but they had a 16 foot trailer.

It appears the move date will be Friday.

I am so very blessed to have met this woman.  I'm grateful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so nice, Fay! You two were meant to meet! I bet she was glad to have you for company during the chemo.